Application for Cremation of Dead Bodies
An applicant can apply in person, or together with the staff of a licensed undertaker (who should bring along the business chop of the undertaker), at the Cremation Booking Office of the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department (FEHD) on 1/F, Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices or 18/F, Wu Chung House, Wanchai (see remarks), and has to:
- complete an application form and have the business chop of the licensed undertaker stamped thereon (Applicants are encouraged to complete the application form and pre-pay the cremation fee through the "Online Cremation Application and Pre-paid System" to shorten the time spent at the application counter of the office);
submit the completed form with the Cremation Order or Cremation Permit issued by the Department of Health;
select the crematorium and cremation session;
- pay the fee and get the receipt (Not applicable to applicants using the "Online Cremation Application and Pre-paid System").
Applicant can also book cremation sessions on the Department's webpage.
- To select the cremation session, the applicant may refer to the available sessions in the New Territories and urban areas as displayed on the computer screens at the above offices.
- Upon completion of the application, an official receipt and the cremator booking particulars will be given to the applicant for verification. Errors, if any, should be brought to the attention of FEHD staff for amendment before the applicant leaves the office. Otherwise, the particulars of the application will be input into the computer and confirmed. No amendment can be made thereafter.
- If, after the application has been completed and the receipt issued, the applicant wishes to change the place, date or time of cremation, he/she has to complete an application form for cancellation of cremation booking. Fees paid will not be refunded. The applicant has to submit a fresh application for another booking and pay the relevant fees.
- Should there be special reasons for urgent cremation, application should be made with supporting documents (e.g. the plane ticket of the next of kin leaving Hong Kong) for consideration at FEHD's discretion.
- After obtaining the Certificate of Registration of Death and the Cremation Permit:
- If the applicant authorize the staff of the licensed undertaker or another person on his/her behalf to handle all the matters related to application for cremation, to book the cremation session or to collect the cremated ashes of the deceased, he/she should complete and sign on Section C and Section G of the application form. Also, the authorized person should sign on Section C. Moreover, while submitting the application, the originals of the Certificate of Registration of Death and the Cremation Permit of the deceased, as well as the copies of the Hong Kong Identity Card/Passport of the deceased, the applicant and the authorized person, should be produced for verification.
- If the applicant is not the deceased's relative, he/she has to provide the information and contact method of the trustee or a relative of the deceased in Section F of the form. If the deceased has no relatives in Hong Kong, the applicant should provide documentary proof. If the applicant cannot provide the required information, he/she should provide the reason(s), otherwise the application will not be approved.
- The applicant must ensure all the information provided in the application is true and correct. If false information is given or false declaration is made by the applicant, no approval will be given to the application or such approval if given will be revoked. Moreover, the applicant may be legally liable for the false information given or false declaration made.
- The above offices operate a chip allotment system to facilitate the booking of cremation sessions by applicants. An applicant or his/her authorized person must first produce the Cremation Order or Cremation Permit of the deceased for registration by FEHD staff, after which chips will be allotted according to the number of supporting documents submitted by the applicant or the authorized person. Not more than five chips will be allotted to an applicant or his/her authorized person each time. There is no upper limit on the number of chips allotted each day. All applications are processed in the order of the chips allotted.
- The FEHD has no authorized funeral agents or undertakers. Applicants should be careful in the selection.