Drawing of lots and computer random balloting for applications submitted in August 2021 for allocation of new extendable niche at Tsang Tsui Columbarium was convened on 20 September 2021. The balloting process can be viewed by clicking the following link -
The FEHD will send an appointment letter to the successful applicant not less than 10 days before the appointment date and will also remind the applicant and nominated representatives by SMS and email 7 days before the appointment date. Successful applicant can also check the appointment date on the next day after drawing of lots and computer random balloting by clicking the link below -
The Food and Environmental Hygiene Department (FEHD) will launch a pilot scheme to accept application for allocation of extendable niches at Tsang Tsui Columbarium all the year round for one year with effect from 1st December 2020. Details are as follows -
|Application period:||From 9:00 a.m. on the first day to 5:00 p.m. on the last day of each month (except announced otherwise)|
|Number of niches for allocation:||
Smoke-free standard niche - @850
Note: @ The number of niches may be adjusted according to the application situation.
|Date and venue of drawing of lots and computer random balloting:||Will be conducted on the 20th of each month (if it is a Saturday or general holiday, it will be postponed to the next working day) at 10:00 a.m. in the Public Niche Allocation Office|
|Date of niche allocation:||FEHD will invite the successful applicants in writing to complete the allocation formalities on the specified date and time according to their priorities determined by drawing of lots and computer random balloting in due course|
Means of Application
Starting from 1st December 2020, application form will be available for download from FEHD website and collection in specified locations, including FEHD Hong Kong or Kowloon Cemeteries and Crematoria office, District Environmental Hygiene Offices of FEHD and Home Affairs Enquiry Centres of HAD.
Applicants are strongly recommended to apply by completing the online application form to avoid postal delay/ non-delivery. The applicant can also receive an acknowledgement receipt with an application number through email shortly after the online application submission, facilitating future follow-up of the application.
Applicants should read Application and Allocation for niches, Notes for Application and Notes for Deposit of Ashes carefully before completing the application form so as to understand the new allocation arrangements for extendable niches.
Submission of Application
The completed application form together with the following documents should be submitted within the application period through the following means:
- Putting the application form into the drop-in box at the FEHD Hong Kong Cemeteries and Crematoria Office or Kowloon Cemeteries and Crematoria Office during office hours;
- The applicant holding “Permit to Take Away Cremated Ashes” or “Certificate of Cremation”or “Receipt of Fee for Cremation”(only applicable to cremation session of FEHD within 15 days after the expiry of application period) of the deceased issued by FEHD or overseas authorized crematoria may fill in the online application form, upload the required documents in pdf or jpeg format and submit the application online.
- By email (email@example.com);
- By fax (2333 1716); or
- By post to the FEHD Hong Kong Cemeteries and Crematoria Office or Kowloon Cemeteries and Crematoria Office.
* If the applicant had submitted an application in or after 2019 and was accepted and there is no change in respect of his/her name and Hong Kong Identity Card number and all particulars of the deceased, copies of the required documents are not required.
Applications which are not supported with all required documents or information, or late or duplicated applications will not be accepted.
Eligibility for applying public niche
The cremated ashes of the following persons may be deposited in the columbaria of FEHD:
- a person who was a resident of Hong Kong at the time of his/her death and whose remains were cremated in a government crematorium within three months after his/her death#; or
- a person who was a resident of Hong Kong for a period of at least ten years during the period of twenty years immediately preceding his/her death and whose remains were cremated in a crematorium outside Hong Kong (Relevant documentary proof are required) #; or
- a person whose remains were lawfully exhumed and cremated in a government crematorium.
# A copy of the relevant documents must be submitted with the application and the originals should be produced for inspection at the time of allocation.
Documents required for applying for a niche
- Copy of the applicant's Hong Kong Identity Card;
- Copy of each deceased person's Hong Kong Identity Card or other documentary proof of the deceased's Hong Kong resident status;
- Copy of the “Permit to Take Away Cremated Ashes” [This is not applicable to those ashes still being kept in Government crematoria. If a cremation session has been successfully booked before the end of the application period, i.e. a cremation session of FEHD within 15 days after the expiry of application period, the applicant can also submit the application form with the “Receipt of Fee for Cremation”, and then submit the “Permit to Take Away Cremated Ashes” soonest possible after receiving.] or “Certificate of Cremation” or “Permit to Remove/Exhume Remains” of each deceased person;
If the niche is for depositing more than one deceased person's ashes, copies of the documentary proof (such as marriage certificate, birth certificate, etc.) showing that the first deposited deceased person and the other deceased are close relatives or in close relationship. (Close relative means the spouse, parent, grandparent, grandparent-in-law, brother, sister, father-in-law, mother-in-law, daughter-in-law, son-in-law or a direct descendant of either the male or female line.) In the absence of documentary proof for close relatives or close relationship, the applicant may take an oath at the below office:
- Hong Kong Cemeteries and Crematoria Office ( 1J Wong Nai Chung Road, Happy Valley, Hong Kong (Near Hong Kong Cemetery) ; or
- Kowloon Cemeteries and Crematoria Office (Upper Ground Floor, 6 Cheong Hang Road, Hung Hom, Kowloon) ; or
- Public Niche Allocation Office (Units 3501-3511 & 3520-3525, 35/F, Tower 1, Metroplaza, 223 Hing Fong Road, Kwai Fong, N.T.)
The new allocation arrangements for niche
- All available public niches for this allocation exercise are extendable niches. The initial interment period is 20 years and can be extended at 10-year intervals thereafter upon payment of the prevailing prescribed fee. The applicant has to provide the personal particulars of the related persons (i.e. the niche allocatee (i.e. the applicant) and nominated representatives (if any)) to FEHD for contact on matters relating to extension/handling of ashes after expiry of the interment period. If there are any changes of nominated representatives or the contact details, the related persons should inform FEHD accordingly. The onus is on the niche allocatee to handle the ashes of the deceased (i.e. either apply for extension or remove the ashes from the niche) after expiry of the 20-year initial interment period (or 10-year extension period thereafter) and to update FEHD on contact details from time to time.
- All niches, irrespective of their level and orientation on a niche wall, will be allocated to successful applicants by drawing of lots and computer random balloting rather than self-chosen.
- To look after those failed in the last monthly allocation exercise (i.e. applicants that had not been invited for allocation) and to encourage co-location of ashes, these two categories of applications (i.e. those failed in the last monthly niche allocation exercise but does not include the case where an applicant was invited for allocation but eventually gave up on his/her own accord or opt for co-location of ashes), if satisfying the criteria for the respective categories will be given an additional “ballot paper” under that category to enhance the chance of successful balloting. (However, only one additional “ballot paper” at most will be issued to each of the above two categories in one application.
- Upon receiving the application form, FEHD will issue an acknowledgement receipt together with an application number to the applicant by post, fax or email (depending on the means of submission of the application). If the applicant does not receive an acknowledgement receipt 10 calendar days after submitting the application, he / she may call 2841 9111 for enquiries.
- FEHD will conduct drawing of lots and computer random balloting (Details) on the 20th of the following month (if it is a Saturday or general holiday, it will be postponed to the next working day) after close of the application period to determine the successful applicants' priorities in niche allocation and the designated niche allotted to them.
- The ballot result will be available in Hong Kong Cemeteries and Crematoria Office, Kowloon Cemeteries and Crematoria Office and Public Niche Allocation Office of FEHD for viewing by applicants and uploaded on FEHD website. FEHD will also notify the successful applicants of the ballot result by SMS and email or post. Applicants can also call2841 9111 for enquiries.
- After drawing of lots and computer random balloting, each successful application will be allotted a priority number and a designated niche. FEHD will inform the successful applicants of the date and time of completing the allocation formalities and paying the relevant fees by letter according to their priorities at the Public Niche Allocation Office (address: Units 3501-3511 and 3520-3525, 35/F, Tower 1, Metroplaza, 223, Hing Fong Road, Kwai Fong, N.T. ). To expedite the niche allocation process, payment by cash is not accepted. The applicant can settle payment by “EPS”, cheque or cashier order and complete the transaction over the allocation counter. For cheque and cashier order payment, they must be made payable to “The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region” in an amount of $2,490 for standard niche and $3,090 for large niche and the cheque must be crossed.
- If a successful applicant does not take up the assigned niche, his / her application will be considered to have been processed. FEHD will not accept further application for a niche at Tsang Tsui Columbarium for the same deceased in the next 6 months.
- If applications for the same deceased are submitted in two consecutive months, the processing of the next application will be suspended until the ballot result of the previous application is available. The FEHD will continue to process the next application only when the previous application is not successful.
Other Points to Note
- The application procedure is simple. An applicant is only required to complete an application form and submit it together with copies of the above-mentioned documents. There is no need to entrust other persons / organisations to make an application on his / her behalf.
- No fee is charged for making an application.
- FEHD has not entrusted any organisations / persons to receive / process applications or assist in the submission of applications. No one should enjoy any convenience or privilege.
- The fees for an extendable standard niche at Tsang Tsui Columbarium for the initial 20-year interment period is $2,400 and permission for placing a memorial plaque is $90. The fees for an extendable large niche at Tsang Tsui Columbarium for the initial 20-year interment period is $3,000 and permission for placing a memorial plaque is $90. The administration fee for placing an additional set of ashes is $140 thereafter.
- For application for a standard niche, the applicant has to fill in not less than one deceased person's particulars in the application form. For application for a large niche, the applicant has to fill in not less than three deceased persons' particulars in the application form. The other deceased persons listed in the application form should be a close relative of or in close relationship with the first deposited deceased person. The niche should be returned to FEHD if the cremated ashes of the first deceased person deposited in that niche have been removed.
- If the name of the deceased person on an application form for a new niche is already on the waiting list for reused niche, FEHD will delete the name of the deceased from the waiting list for reused niche upon successful allocation of and deposit of ashes of deceased in a new niche at Tsang Tsui Columbarium. Furthermore, if the cremated ashes of the concerned deceased have already been deposited in another public niche and the deceased is the 1st deceased deposited in that niche, the applicant should return that niche to FEHD after the concerned ashes have been deposited in the new niche. In case the applicant and the above-mentioned applicant for reused niche and/or the niche allocatee of the public niche where the deceased ashes have been placed are of different persons, the applicant must sign an undertaking to confirm that his application has been approved by the above-mentioned person(s).
- FEHD reminds the public that when applying for a public niche for a deceased relative, the applicant should handle the matter in person. If the applicant has no time to deal with the application in person, he/she should still fill in the application form in his/her name and authorise others to follow up. This is to ensure that FEHD can keep in touch with the applicant (i.e. the niche allocatee) direct on matters relating to extension of the interment period so that the niche allocatee can safeguard the interests of the deceased person(s).
Hong Kong Cemeteries and Crematoria Office
Address: 1J Wong Nai Chung Road, Happy Valley, Hong Kong
Tel. No.: 2570 4318
Fax No.: 2591 1879
Kowloon Cemeteries and Crematoria Office
Address: Upper Ground Floor, 6 Cheong Hang Road, Hung Hom, Kowloon
Tel. No.: 2365 5321
Fax No.: 2176 4963
Public Niche Allocation Office
Address: Units 3501-3511 and 3520-3525, 35/F, Metroplaza, Tower 1, 223 Hing Fong Road, Kwai Fong, N.T.
Tel. No.: 2330 5635
Fax No.: 2333 1716
Office Hours :
Mondays to Fridays : 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Saturdays : 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon (except Public Niche Allocation Office)
Sundays and Public Holidays : Closed
Enquiry Tel. No.: 2841 9111
Enquiry email: firstname.lastname@example.org