Temporary Storage Service for Cremains in government facilities is a transitional arrangement. The cremains of any person meeting concerned criteria are eligible to apply for being kept in the temporary storage facility for cremains of the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department (FEHD). At present, the temporary storage facility for cremains in Kwai Chung Crematorium is limited to storage of cremains bags only (cinerary urns are not accepted) while the temporary storage facility in Wo Hop Shek Columbarium is limited to storage of cinerary urns only (cremains bags are not accepted). The storage period for application of temporary storage service for cremains, which is extendable, is either 3, 6 or 12 months. The monthly charge is $80.
If necessary, the public may use the existing worshipping facilities in the columbarium near the temporary storage facility for cremains for paying tribute to their beloved ones. Besides, users of the temporary storage facility for cremains in Kwai Chung Crematorium may also use the digital worshipping facility adjacent to the New Kwai Chung Gardens of Remembrance for leaving messages on the dedicated memorial page of the deceased.
The cremains of any person meeting the following criteria are eligible for being kept in the temporary storage facilities for cremains of FEHD:
- who was a resident of Hong Kong at the time of his/her death and whose remains were cremated within three months after his/her death in a Government crematorium; or
- whose remains were cremated in a private crematorium specified in Part 6 of the Schedule 5 of the Public Health and Municipal Services Ordinance, Cap. 132; or
- who was a resident of Hong Kong for a period of at least ten years during the period of twenty years immediately preceding his/her death and whose remains were certified to be cremated in a lawful crematorium outside Hong Kong; or
- whose remains are lawfully exhumed and cremated at a Government crematorium; or
- whose cremains were interred in a private columbarium in Hong Kong prior to the submission of the application.
Application for Temporary Storage Service for Cremains
- Application procedure
Applicant shall submit the completed form of Application for Temporary Storage Service for Cremains together with the original and copies of the documents listed below in person to one of the following Cemeteries and Crematoria Offices. If submission is made by post / fax (Fax No.: 2765 6402) / email (firstname.lastname@example.org), only copies of the required documents are required. This Department will verify the concerned documents when interviewing the applicant. Please refer to Notes of the relevant application form for details. The date of commencement of the storage period for temporary storage service for cremains will be assigned by FEHD. FEHD will normally grant approval within 10 working days after receiving the application.
Upon FEHD's approval for the application, an approval letter will be issued to the applicant. The applicant could either pay the charge fees at the Offices or opt to pay the fees online by credit card or by Payment by Phone Service (PPS) through the “Online Payment System for Cemeteries and Crematoria Services” on FEHD website.
- Required documents for application for the service
The applicant has to produce the following documents (i.e. items i and ii, and item iii or iv):
- the original and a copy of the applicant's identity card; and
- the original and a copy of the identity card of the deceased; and
- the original and a copy of the Permit to Take Away Cremated Ashes or Certificate of Cremation of the deceased [not applicable to applicants who have already applied for cremains transfer service.]; or
- the original and a copy of the document(s) proving the cremains of deceased were interred in a private columbarium in Hong Kong prior to the submission of application (e.g. "commencement of ash disposal notice" issued by the private columbarium concerned, the sale and purchase agreement signed with the private columbarium, etc.). Otherwise, the applicant shall make a declaration in the course of interview with FEHD staff in confirming the cremains of deceased were interred in a private columbarium in Hong Kong prior to the submission of application.
- Extension of the Temporary Storage Service for Cremains
- One month prior to expiry of storage period, a letter printed with an “Online Payment Identification Number” reminding to retrieve the stored cremains or to extend the storage period will be issued to applicant. Applicant can extend the storage period at any one of the below Cemeteries and Crematoria Offices or by online application and pay the fee.
- The applicant or the authorised person could present either of the following documents at any one of the below Cemeteries and Crematoria Offices for extension of storage period :
- the letter reminding extension of storage period or retrieval of cremains; or
- the approval letter of first application; or
- the receipt of last payment.
- Applicant could choose to extend the storage period for 3, 6 or 12 months. Staff will approve the application direct and collect the required service fee instantly.
- For online extension of the cremains storage and pay the fee, applicant may visit the “Online Payment System for Cemeteries and Crematoria Services” of FEHD website, input the name of the deceased and the Online Payment Identification Number printed on the renewal reminder letter. After verifying the relevant information, the applicants may settle the payment of charge fees by credit card or by PPS. The applicant shall also print the receipt of the said payment.
- Application for Retrieval of Cremains
- The applicant or authorised person has to make appointment for retrieval of cremains with office of concerned temporary storage facility not less than 3 working days before the intended date of retrieval and submit together with the original of the documents listed below to the concerned office on the day of retrieval:
- The original of HKID card of the applicant;
- The original of the Permit to Take Away Cremated Ashes or Certificate of Cremation of the deceased;
- The original of the receipt for temporary storage service.
- The authorisation letter with copy of HKID of the applicant and authorised person (if applicable).
- If there is any outstanding storage fee before the intended date of retrieval of cremains, applicant or authorised person has to pay the outstanding fee at either one of the below Cemeteries and Crematoria Offices prior to the retrieval of cremains.
- In the event that the cremains are retrieved before the end of the approved storage period for which payment was made, fees will be refunded based on the remaining number of months (days that do not add up to one month will be disregarded) and in the form of crossed cheque delivered to your correspondence address by post.
The Addresses of Cemeteries and Crematoria Offices:
- 1J Wong Nai Chung Road, Happy Valley, Hong Kong.
Enquiry telephone number: 2570 4318
Fax number: 2591 1879
- Upper Ground Floor, 6 Cheong Hang Road, Hung Hom, Kowloon.
Enquiry telephone number: 2365 5321
Fax number: 2176 4963
- 1/F, Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices, 303 Cheung Sha Wan Road, Kowloon.
Enquiry telephone number: 2150 7502
Fax number: 2765 6402
The Addresses of Temporary Storage Facilities for Cremains
- Kwai Chung Crematorium, 13 Wing Hau Street, Kwai Chung
Enquiry telephone number: 2614 4390
Fax number: 2439 6435
- Wo Hop Shek Kiu Tau Road Columbarium Phase V
Enquiry telephone number: 2696 4031
Fax number: 2696 4827