Laboratory Assistant (Salary: HK$11,715 per month)
Candidates should have:
- completed Secondary 3, or equivalent;
- attained a level of proficiency in Chinese and English Languages equivalent to Secondary 3 standard; and
- at least one year’s relevant laboratory experience.
- To assist in simple sample preparation work as instructed by the professional and technical staff;
- To undertake general housekeeping work such as cleansing and tidying up the laboratory area and cleansing of laboratory apparatus;
- To assist in conducting field surveys, carrying out laboratory tests and performing other pest control duties;
- To keep custody of and maintain living specimens and equipment;
- To assist in the receipt, storage and disposal of samples and chemicals;
- To assist in the preparation of simple reagents; and
- To carry out other duties assigned by supervisors.
Terms of Appointment:
Successful candidates will be appointed on non-civil service contract terms for a period of not more than 12 months. Successful candidates would be required to report for duty at short notice.
Rest days, general holidays, annual leave, maternity/paternity leave, sickness allowance, where appropriate, will be granted in accordance with the provisions of the Employment Ordinance.
How to Apply:
Application forms [G.F. 340 (Rev.3/2013)] are obtainable from any Home Affairs Enquiry Centre of District Offices, Home Affairs Department or any Job Centre of the Employment Services Division, Labour Department. The said form can also be downloaded from the Civil Service Bureau website (http://www.csb.gov.hk). Completed forms should be forwarded to the following enquiry address on or before the closing date for application (The postmark date on the envelope will be regarded as the date of application). Please specify on the envelope “Application for the Position of Laboratory Assistant”. Underpaid mail items are subject to surcharge by Hongkong Post. This department will not accept underpaid mail items, which will be handled by Hongkong Post. To ensure mail items be duly received by the department, and to avoid unnecessary delivery delay (e.g. return to sender), please pay sufficient postage before posting mail items to this department. On-line application can also be made through Civil Service Bureau’s website (http://www.csb.gov.hk). Candidates should state in detail in the application forms their academic qualifications and employment records with post title and detailed description of duties. Candidates holding qualifications obtained from academic institutions outside Hong Kong should submit copies of their degree certificates, transcripts of studies and official documents issued by the relevant academic institutions which stated the mode of delivery (e.g. full time / part time, on campus / distance learning, etc.) of the study programmes. Applications which are not made in the prescribed form, or incomplete, or late, or submitted by fax / email will not be considered. For purposes of contact and notification, applicants are required to state e-mail addresses in the application forms. Candidates who are selected for selection interview will normally receive an invitation in about six to eight weeks from the closing date for application. Those who are not invited for interview may assume that their applications are unsuccessful.
Note:Applicants who have submitted application in response to the recruitment exercise of Laboratory Assistant between 6 October 2017 and 20 October 2017 need not submit application in respect of the same position again.
Enquiry Address and Telephone:
Appointments Section (Team 3), Food and Environmental Hygiene Department, 44/F., Queensway Government Offices, 66 Queensway, Hong Kong. For enquiries, please call 2867 5741.
Closing Date for Application:
17 November 2017
- Candidates must be permanent residents of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region at the time of appointment unless specified otherwise.
- As an Equal Opportunities Employer, the Government is committed to eliminating discrimination in employment. The vacancy advertised is open to all applicants meeting the basic entry requirement irrespective of their disability, sex, marital status, pregnancy, age, family status, sexual orientation and race.
- Non-civil service vacancies are not posts on the civil service establishment. Candidates appointed are not on civil service terms of appointment and conditions of service. Candidates appointed are not civil servants and will not be eligible for posting, promotion or transfer to any posts in the Civil Service.
- The entry pay, terms of appointment and conditions of service to be offered are subject to the provisions prevailing at the time the offer of appointment is made.
- Where a large number of candidates meet the specified entry requirements, the recruiting department may devise shortlisting criteria to select the better qualified candidates for further processing. In these circumstances, only shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend selection interview.
- It is Government policy to place people with a disability in appropriate jobs wherever possible. If a disabled candidate meets the entry requirements, he/she will be invited to attend the selection interview without being subject to any further shortlisting criteria.
- Holders of academic qualifications other than those obtained from Hong Kong institutions/Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority may also apply but their qualifications will be subject to assessments on equivalence with the required entry qualifications. They should submit copies of their official transcripts and certificates by mail to the above enquiry address.
- Non-civil service vacancies information contained in this column is also available on the Internet web site of the GovHK (http://www.gov.hk).
- Towards the application deadline, our on-line system would likely be overloaded due to large volume of applications. To ensure timely completion of your on-line application, it is advisable to submit the application as early as possible.