The allocation of all remaining new standard niches at Cheung Chau Columbarium (Phase 3) was completed on 13.8.2019. Construction works of Cheung Chau Columbarium (Phase 4) is expected to be completed in mid-October 2019, and will provide 670 standard extendable niches for allocation.
Starting from 13.8.2019, FEHD will accept application for the new extendable niches at Cheung Chau Columbarium (Phase 4). We will continue using the first-come-first-served basis in this allocation exercise and will allocate the new niches to successful applicants in advance.
The new niches at Cheung Chau Columbarium (Phase 4) are standard extendable niches which can accommodate at least 2 sets of cremated ashes, the initial interment period is 20 years and can be extended at 10-year intervals thereafter upon payment of the prevailing prescribed fee. There is no limit on the numbers of renewal of interment period. The application details are as follows:
Application Form (FEHB 136)
The application form and the notes on application can be obtained through the following methods:
- download from the FEHD website (www.fehd.gov.hk);
- by fax (2591 1879 / 2176 4963); or
- in person either at the FEHD Cheung Chau Environmental Hygiene Office of Islands District, the Hong Kong Cemeteries and Crematoria Office, or the Kowloon Cemeteries and Crematoria Office.
Submission of Application
Completed application form together with the necessary documents should be submitted through any of the following methods:
- in person during office hours at the FEHD Cheung Chau Environmental Hygiene Office of Islands District, the Hong Kong Cemeteries and Crematoria Office, or the Kowloon Cemeteries and Crematoria Office;
- by fax to 2591 1879 or 2176 4963; or
- by post to the FEHD Cheung Chau Environmental Hygiene Office of Islands District, the Hong Kong Cemeteries and Crematoria Office, or the Kowloon Cemeteries and Crematoria Office.
Please note that application form (FEHB 136) should be duly completed. For a standard niche, at least one set of cremated ashes of a deceased person should be deposited. Otherwise, the application will not be processed. Change of the deceased's particulars is not allowed once the application has been acknowledged by FEHD.
Documents required for the application for a niche:
- a copy of the applicant's Hong Kong Identity Card;
- a copy of each deceased person's Hong Kong Identity Card or other documentary proof of the deceased's Hong Kong resident identity;
- a copy of the "Permit to Take Away Cremated Ashes" or "Certificate of Cremation" or "Permit to Remove / Exhume Remains" of each deceased person; if the deceased was cremated overseas, the applicant must submit the original certificate of cremation issued by overseas authorities;
- for application for depositing the ashes of more than one deceased persons in the same niche, a copy of the documentary proof of close relative relationship between the first deposited deceased and the other deceased person(s) mentioned in the application form;
- a copy of the certificate issued by the Cheung Chau Rural Committee certifying that the first deceased person was an indigenous villager of the Islands District, or a bona fide resident of Cheung Chau for a continuous residing period of not less than 10 years or their minor children; and
- a copy of the statutory declaration made by the legal representative or next of kin of the first decreased person to declare that the first deceased person was an indigenous villager of the Islands District, or a bona fide resident of Cheung Chau for a continuous residing period of not less than 10 years or their minor children.
Processing of Applications
- After checking the application forms and supporting documents, FEHD will determine qualified applicants' selection priorities on a first-come-first-served basis. The eligible applicants will be invited to go to the FEHD Cheung Chau Environmental Hygiene Office of Islands District according to their priority numbers at designated dates and times for niche selection. If appointment letters are not received 14 calendar days after submitting the applications, applicants may call the hotline 2150 7502 for enquiries.
- Applicants must produce the originals of the above mentioned documents upon selection of niches. Otherwise the applications will be treated as void.
Other Points to Note
- The application procedure is simple. An applicant is only required to complete an application form and submit it together with copies of the above documents (except the certificate of cremation issued by overseas authorities). It is not necessary to commission other persons / organisations to make an application.
- No fee is charged for making an application.
The fees for a standard niche are $2,400 (Initial 20-year Interment Period) and $1,200 (10-year Interment Period (extension)) respectively, and the fee for placing a memorial plaque is $90. The administration fee for placing an additional set of ashes is $140.
If an application for a used niche has also been made for the deceased in addition to an application for a new niche, upon successful allocation of a new niche, FEHD will remove the name of the deceased from the waiting list of used niches. Furthermore, if the deceased is the first deceased whose ashes are deposited in another public niche, the applicant should subsequently return that niche to FEHD.
- FEHD has not commissioned any organisations or persons to receive or process applications, or assist in the submission of applications. No one will be accorded any convenience or privilege.
- Duplicate applications for the same deceased will not be processed.
- FEHD will accept applications and allocate the new niches on a first-come-first-served basis until all the niches are allocated.
Information of the FEHD Offices
(1) Cheung Chau Environmental Hygiene Office of Islands District
Address: Room 111, 1/F, Cheung Chau Market Complex, 2 Tai Hing Tai Road, Cheung Chau
Tel. No.: 2981 5442
Mondays to Fridays 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon and 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays Closed
(2) Cemeteries and Crematoria offices
Hong Kong Cemeteries and Crematoria Office
Address: 1J, Wong Nai Chung Road , Happy Valley, Hong Kong
Tel. No.: 2570 4318
Fax No.: 2591 1879
Kowloon Cemeteries and Crematoria Office
Address: Upper Ground Floor, 6 Cheong Hang Road , Hung Hom, Kowloon
Tel. No.: 2365 5321
Fax No.: 2176 4963
Mondays to Fridays 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Saturdays 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon
Sundays and Public Holidays Closed
Enquiry hotline: 2150 7502
Food and Environmental Hygiene Department