The applicant must be the original permittee of the niche. The procedures are as follows:
- complete an application form;
- the completed form and relevant documents shall be submitted in person or by post to the Cemeteries and Crematoria Offices of the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department (FEHD) in Hung Hom or Happy Valley;
- after completing the procedures, the application will be processed and a reply will be sent to the applicant in about two weeks;
- upon receipt of the notification letter, arrangement may be made with the columbarium office for the cremated ashes to be removed as directed.
- if the original permittee cannot complete the formalities in respect of the niche in person, he may instruct a lawyer or authorize in writing a relative or friend to act on his behalf;
- if the original permittee is ill or mobility-handicapped, he may authorize a relative in writing (with medical certificates) to complete the application procedures at the above office;
- if the original permittee will soon leave Hong Kong, he and his trustee shall go to the above office to apply for authorization or transfer of ownership of the niche;
- if the original permittee does not reside permanently in Hong Kong, he may instruct a lawyer or notary office of his place of residence to issue an authorization letter for his relative to complete all the formalities in respect of the niche;
- the original permittee's signatures on all documents shall be valid only if they are identical with FEHD's record;
- the trustee or the authorized person shall take an oath at the above office to bear all legal liabilities pertaining to the niche;
- if the original permittee has lost contact with his relatives or friends, the latter shall provide evidence that the owner cannot be contacted and take an oath at the above office in order to apply for removal of cremated ashes;
- If the original permittee has passed away, his descendants may, upon production of his death certificate or other documentary proof, apply under oath for succession of the niche and removal of cremated ashes at the above office;
- the original permittee, the trustee or the authorized person shall remove the cremated ashes only after FEHD has issued the approving documents.