Application for Exportation of Dead Bodies for Interment (out of Hong Kong)
- If the body of a deceased is to be exported out of Hong Kong, an applicant should, after death registration, apply for the "Permit for Removal of Dead Body from Hong Kong" [Form 9] at the Deaths Registry of Immigration Department in the Joint Office.
- The applicant can obtain the application form [SF/BDR/3] from the counter and complete it by providing the information required, such as the personal particulars of the deceased, the proposed time for exporting the dead body out of Hong Kong and the destination.
- The applicant is required to produce originals and copies of the documents permitting the burial issued by the overseas cemetery where the dead body is to be buried as well as the documents for the import of the dead body into the country concerned.
- If the body of the deceased is to be transported to the Mainland:
the applicant should bring along documents such as the Home Visit Permit, the identity card and "Certificate of Registration of Death" [Form 12] of the deceased to complete the formalities with the International Travel Body Service Centre of the Chinese Funeral Association according to the requirements of the Ministry of Civil Affairs of the Mainland. (For details, please refer to the webpage of the Ministry of Civil Affairs, People's Republic of China: http://www.mca.gov.cn); and
- the applicant should contact a local licensed undertaker or funeral parlour direct to arrange transportation of the dead body.
- If the body of the deceased is to be transported to an overseas country:
- care must be taken to ensure that the deceased had the passport of the receiving country and that import permission has been obtained from its government. Enquiries can be made to the consulate concerned; and
- upon grant of permission and completion of import procedures, the applicant should contact a local licensed undertaker or funeral parlour direct to arrange transportation of the dead body.