Application for Importation of Exhumed Remains for Burial in Urn Grave

Applicant has to apply in person at the Cemeteries and Crematoria Office of the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department (FEHD) in Hung Hom and to:

  1. produce documents issued by the relevant Mainland / overseas authority certifying the death and burial of the deceased and for the export of the exhumed remains;
  2. bring along the originals and copies of the above documents to the above office, take an oath and pay the fee for allocation of an urn grave in a public cemetery (the applicant can then arrange with a mason to bury the exhumed remains in an urn grave);
  3. produce the original and a copy of letter from the relevant islands rural committee and a statutory declaration made by the legal representative or next of kin of the first decreased person certifying the burial eligibility of the deceased if the applicant wishes to allocate an urn grave in a public cemetery on the outlying islands;
  4. produce the original and copy of the burial certificate of the exhumed remains issued by the private cemetery where the applicant wishes to have the remains buried in an urn grave or deposited in an ossuary niche.