Handling of Ashes
In addition to keeping cremated human ashes in private or government columbarium, or scattering them in Gardens of Remembrance of the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department (FEHD), etc., members of the public may, subject to the approval of the FEHD, scatter cremated human ashes in Hong Kong waters.
- The completed application form, the original copy of the“Permit to Take Away Cremated Ashes” [This is not applicable to those ashes still being kept in Government crematoria.] and a copy of the Hong Kong Identity Card of the deceased should be submitted at least 10 days before the proposed date for the scattering of cremated human ashes to any one of the following offices of the Cemeteries and Crematoria Section, FEHD.
Cemeteries and Crematoria (Hong Kong) Section
1J Wong Nai Chung Road, Happy Valley, Hong Kong
Tel. : 2570 4318
Fax : 2591 1879
Email : email@example.com
Cemeteries and Crematoria (Kowloon) Section
Upper Ground Floor, 6 Cheong Hang Road, Hung Hom, Kowloon
Tel. : 2365 5321
Fax : 2176 4963
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application forms can be obtained from the above offices of the Cemeteries and Crematoria Section or downloaded from the website of FEHD (http://www.fehd.gov.hk).
- For an application to scatter cremated human ashes within one of the Designated Areas listed in paragraph (6), approval will be granted normally within 5 working days from the date of receipt of a duly completed application. FEHD does not charge any fee for processing of the application.
- The original of the "Permit to take away cremated ashes" shall be returned to FEHD before formal approval is granted.
- If after approval, the approved person needs to change the date and/or time of the scattering of cremated human ashes due to special circumstances, he/she should inform FEHD at once by phone, fax or email according to the above contact information for re-processing the granting of approval.
- The Designated Areas for the scattering of cremated human ashes at sea are as follows :
Designated Area No. 1 Designated Area No. 2 Designated Area No. 3 East of Tap Mun East of
Tung Lung Chau
South of West Lamma Channel (1) 22-30.83N 114-24.1E 22-15.38N 114-18.7E 22-10.50N 114-01.0E (2) 22-30.83N 114-27.0E 22-15.38N 114-20.1E 22-10.50N 114-06.0E (3) 22-29.36N 114-27.0E 22-14.18N 114-20.1E 22-09.00N 114-06.0E (4) 22-29.36N 114-24.1E 22-14.18N 114-18.7E 22-09.00N 114-01.0E
- The applicant must comply with the following approval conditions for scattering of cremated human ashes at sea :
- Unless otherwise approved by the Director of Food and Environmental Hygiene in writing, the scattering of cremated human ashes at sea only take place at the approved time, on the approved date and within the approved Designated Area.
- Apart from the cremated ashes of the deceased and a handfulNote of fresh flower petals,no food, ritual offerings or any other object are allowed to be thrown into the sea.
- The approved person or his/her authorized person should observe all relevant ordinances or regulations of Hong Kong when scattering cremated human ashes at sea.
- The ceremony for the scattering of cremated human ashes at sea should be conducted only by the approved person or his/her authorized person on board a vessel.
- In case other vessels, for example fishing vessels, are present within the approved Designated Area, the scattering of cremated human ashes should be conducted away from the vessels.
- In case dolphins are present within the approved Designated Area, the scattering of cremated human ashes should be conducted after all dolphins have left.
Note: For ease of reference by the approved person or his/her authorised person, the amount of flower petals that can be held by a 250ml container can contain may be accepted as complying with Approved Condition No. ii.