Application for Exhumation or Relocation of Remains at Places Other Than Cemeteries

Applicant has to apply in person at the Cemeteries and Crematoria Office of the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department (FEHD) in Hung Hom or Happy Valley and to:

  1. produce the death certificate of the deceased (if it is not available, apply for the re-issue at the Births and Deaths General Register Office);
  2. produce two recent photos one each showing the distant and close view of the hillside grave with all the tombstone inscription clearly shown;
  3. complete an application form;
  4. produce documentary proof of relationship with the deceased. In the absence of such proof, the applicant shall take an oath at the above office;
  5. make a site visit to the grave with FEHD staff upon notification by post or by phone in about three weeks after completing the procedures;
  6. bring the letter issued by FEHD to the above office in person to pay the fees after the application has been confirmed and approved (If the exhumed remains are to be re-buried in a private cemetery, the applicant has to produce the originals and copies of the documents permitting the burial issued by the cemetery).