Applicant can apply in person, or together with staff of the licensed undertaker (who shall bring along the business's chop), at the Cremation Booking Office of the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department (FEHD) on 1/F, Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices or 18/F, Wu Chung House, Wanchai (see remarks), and has to:
- complete an application form which must bear the business chop of the licensed undertaker;
- submit the completed form with the Cremation Order or Cremation Permit issued by the Department of Health;
- select the crematorium and cremation session;
- pay the fees and get the receipt.
Applicant can also book cremation sessions on the Department's webpage.
- To select the cremation session, the applicant may refer to the available sessions in the New Territories and urban areas as displayed on the computer screens at the above offices.
- Upon completion of the application, an official receipt and the cremator booking particulars will be given to the applicant for verification. Errors, if any, should be brought to the attention of FEHD staff for amendment before the applicant leaves the office. Otherwise, the application will be input into the computer and confirmed. No amendment can be made thereafter.
- If, after the application has been completed and the receipt issued, the applicant wishes to change the place, date or time of cremation, he has to complete an application form for cancellation of cremation booking. Fees paid will not be refunded. The applicant has to submit a fresh application for another booking and pay the relevant fees.
- Should there be special reasons for urgent cremation, application should be made with supporting documents (e.g. plane ticket of the next of kin leaving Hong Kong) for consideration at FEHD's discretion.
- After obtaining the "Certificate of Registration of Death" and the "Cremation Permit", should the applicant authorize the licensed undertaker's staff (authorized person) to book the cremation session on his behalf, he should complete the application form, produce his identity document, and sign the form in front of an FEHD staff. The authorized person must produce his identity document for verification when booking cremation session. The applicant is not required to appear in person at the Cremation Booking Office if he has delegated another person (proxy) for booking cremation session on his behalf and completed the form "Declaration of Relationship with the Deceased" (FEHB 135A). When booking cremation session, the proxy shall submit the completed FEHB 135A, and present the originals of the "Certificate of Registration of Death" and the "Cremation Permit" of the deceased.
- The above offices operate a chit system to facilitate the booking of cremation sessions by applicants. The applicant or authorized person must first produce the Cremation Order or Cremation Permit of the deceased for registration by FEHD staff, after which chits will be issued according to the number of supporting documents submitted by the applicant or authorized person. Not more than five chits will be issued to an applicant or authorized person each time. There is no upper limit on the number of chits issued each day. All applications are processed in order of the chits issued.
- FEHD has no authorized funeral agents or undertakers. Applicant should be careful in the selection.